Port Replicator Checkout (2640-560x - 60x, 70x)
Port Replicator Checkout
Use the following procedure to isolate a port replicator problem.
A port replicator attaches to the system expansion connector
at the bottom of the computer.
- Power-off the computer.
- Remove the failing devices from the port replicator.
- Unplug the AC adapter from the replicator, if attached.
- Remove the port replicator from the computer.
- Reconnect the failing device directly to the computer.
(If another device occupies the connector, remove it first.)
- Go to 'Running the Diagnostics' and follow run the diagnostics.
- If the advanced diagnostic device test does not find an error,
suspect a problem with the port replicator
or the system expansion bus.
- Power-off the computer and reconnect the port replicator.
- Power-on the computer and run the following advanced diagnostic tests:
- Serial port test with the wrap plug (P/N 72X8546) installed on the port replicator.
- Universal Serial Bus test with test cable (P/N 05K2580) see 'Universal Serial Bus (USB) Test'.
- Parallel port test with the wrap plug (P/N 72X8546) installed on the replicator.
- PC Card (PCMCIA) test with the PC test card (P/N 35G4703) installed.
- FDD-2 device test on the failing device with a scratch diskette.
- If diagnostic errors appear, replace the port replicator or diskette
If the problem remains after the replacement, replace the
- If power problems appear only when using the replicator, replace the
If power shutdown occurs intermittently when using PC Card devices via port replicator, suspect an over-current
problem. Some PC Card devices use more power, if the maximum usage of each device occurs simultaneously the total
current will exceed the limit, thereby causing a power shutdown. Isolate this problem by removing one of the devices,
and use the computer under the same condition, and see whether a power shutdown occurs. Do this procedure for all
devices to determine the cause.
Please see the LEGAL - Trademark notice.
Feel free - send a for any BUG on this page found - Thank you.