Read This First - TP 240-2609, TP 600,600E-2645 / TP 570-2644
Read This First
Before you go to the checkout guide,
be sure to read this section.
- Only certified trained personnel should service the computer.
- Read the entire FRU removal and replacement page before replacing any FRU
- Use new nylon-coated screws when you replace FRUs.
- Be extremely careful during write operations
such as copying, saving, or formatting.
Drives in the computer that you are servicing
might have been rearranged, or the drive startup sequence might have been altered.
If you select an incorrect drive, data or programs can be written over.
- Replace FRUs only for the correct model.
When you replace the FRU, make sure the model of the machine
and FRU part number are correct by referring to the part list.
- A FRU should not be replaced because of a single, unreproducible
Single failures can occur from a variety of reasons
that have nothing to do with a hardware defect, such as:
cosmic radiation, electrostatic discharge, or software errors.
FRU replacement should be considered only when a recurring problem exists.
If you suspect an unreproducible failure,
clear the error log and run the test again.
Do not replace any FRUs if log errors do not reappear.
- Be careful not to replace a nondefective FRU.
How to Use Error Messages
Use the error codes displayed on the screen to diagnose failures.
If more than one error code is displayed, begin the diagnosis with
the first error code.
The cause of the first error code can result in false error codes being
displayed. If no error code is displayed, see if the error symptom is
listed in the below referenced Symptom-to-FRU Index
For ThinkPad 240 - 2609 see > Symptom-to-FRU Index
For ThinkPad 570 - 2644 see > Symptom-to-FRU Index
For ThinkPad 600, 600E - 2645 see > Symptom-to-FRU Index
Port Replicator Problems
If you suspect a problem with the port replicator, see 'Port Replicator Checkout'.
How to Diagnose Multiple FRUs
When the adapter or device has more than one FRU, the error code
could be caused by either FRU.
Before replacing multiple FRUs, try removing or
exchanging each FRU,
one by one in the designated sequence, to see if the symptoms change.
What to Do First
The servicer must include the following in the
FRU exchange form or FRU return form that is attached to the
- Name and phone number of servicer
- Date of service
- Date when FRU failed
- Date of purchase
- Failure symptoms, error codes appearing on display,
and beep symptoms
- Procedure index and page number in which failing FRU was detected
- Failing FRU name and FRU number
- Machine type, model number, and serial number
- Customer's name and address
Before checking problems with the computer,
refer to the following to determine
if the warranty applies.
During the warranty period, the customer may be responsible for
repair costs if the computer damage was caused by misuse, accident,
modification, unsuitable physical or operating environment, or
improper maintenance by the customer.
The following is not covered under warranty:
- Scratched (cosmetic) parts.
- Cracked, or broken plastic parts, broken
latches, broken pins,
or broken connectors caused by excessive force.
- Damage caused by liquid spilled into the system.
- Damage caused by improperly inserting a PC card or installation
of an incompatible card.
- Damage caused by foreign material in the
UltraBay or the device space bay.
- Diskette drive damage caused by pressing the
diskette drive cover or
inserting a diskette with multiple labels.
- Damaged or bent diskette eject button.
- CD-ROM drive damage caused by excessive force, shock, or by
- Fuses blown by attaching a nonsupported device.
- Forgotten a computer or a hard disk password
(making computer or hard disk unusable).
If the following symptoms are present, they may indicate
damage caused by nonwarranted activities:
- Missing parts may be a symptom of unauthorized service or
- HDD spindles can become noisy if subjected to
excessive force or by being dropped.
- I9990303 errors
can be caused by exposure to strong magnetic fields.
Please see the LEGAL - Trademark notice.
Feel free - send a for any BUG on this page found - Thank you.