Narrow Hot Swap Drive Tray III Installation
Narrow Hot Swap Drive Tray III
There are two hot-swap trays that work with the Hot Swap Backplane III: the SCSI-2
Fast Hot Swap Drive Tray III (narrow 8-bit tray), and the SCSI-2 Fast/Wide Hot Swap Drive Tray III
(wide 16-bit tray). These trays have built-in small computer system interface (SCSI) connectors that can
hold one of several types of hard disk drives.
Installing a Hard Disk Drive into a Narrow Hot-Swap Tray
Do not operate the latch mechanism 1 until the hard disk
drive is secured in the tray. The latch mechanism is used to lock the tray in place after it is inserted in the
computer or expansion enclosure.
The narrow hot-swap tray option contains:
- Narrow Hot-Swap Tray III
- SCSI ID Cable
- Screws (4x)
You need the following to complete the installation:
- A 1.0GB Fast SCSI-2 Hard Disk Drive
To install a hard disk drive in a narrow hot-swap tray, do the following:
- Place the tray on a flat surface with the latch 1 on the left.
- Route the LED cable 2 along the right side of the tray, inside the tray rail, as shown.
- Attach the power cable 1 to the hard disk drive.
- Attach the signal cable 2 to the hard disk drive.
- Route the SCSI ID cable as shown:
You must install the SCSI ID cable, labeled as FRU P/N 06H8665 correctly.
Follow these instructions carefully, otherwise damage will occur to the drive.
- Place the drive in the position shown in the following figure. The latch will be on the
left in front of you.
- Connect the single-connector end of the cable to 1
- Connect the bigger connector on the double-connector end of the cable to 2
There is only one wire on the smaller connector on the double-connector end of the cable. With the drive in the
position shown, that smaller connector must be connected to the drive with the wire at the top.
- Connect the smaller connector on the double-connector end of the cable to 3
Ensure that the spring clip 1 that holds the tray latch 2. in place along the tray rail is secure.
Do not operate the latch mechanism until the hard disk drive is secured in the tray.
- Install the hard disk drive 1 into the tray 2 as shown. Align the screw holes in the hard disk drive with the holes in the tray rails.
- Install the two screws (1 on each side) using a flat blade screwdriver. The screws should be snug. Do not tighten the screws excessively or you might bend the tray rails.
Ensure you are using the correct size screws to attach the disk drive to the tray. If the screws are longer than 5mm (3/16 inch) you might damage
the hard disk drive.
- To install the assembled hot-swap drive into your computer or expansion enclosure, refer to 'Using the Hot Swap Trays' for general installation instructions. Also, refer to the
documentation that comes with the computer or expansion enclosure for any specific instructions for the configuration.
Please see the LEGAL - Trademark notice.
Feel free - send a for any BUG on this page found - Thank you.