IBM 16/4 Busmaster EISA Adapter
IBM 16/4 Busmaster EISA Adapter
FRU P/N OPT P/N
IBM 16/4 Busmaster EISA Adapter 63F0417
STP TR PC-Adapter Cable 9-pol 6339098
Install and Testing Instructions GC17-0381-00 P/N 63F0418
Diagnostic Diskette EC C97135B-V1.0 P/N 63F0421
Configuring the Adapter
Run the EISA configuration utility supplied with the EISA machine as directed in the EISA machine
instruction manual. You will be required to add the configuration (CFG) file for the adapter. The CFG
file for the 16/4 Busmaster EISA adapter is !IBM1000.CFG and is located on the 16/4 EISA diskette.
The following configuration parameters can be chosen:
- Interrupt level that will be used by the adapter. The options are:
IRQ5, IRQ6, IRQ7, IRQ9, IRQ10, IRQ11, IRQ14 or IRQ 15.
- If you are installing more than one adapter in the same EISA machine, set the interrupt level to the same as that
of the operating system environment you will run.
- For the DOS and OS/2 environment, set the same interrupt level for all adapters.
- For the NetWare environment, set a different interrupt level for each adapter.
- Ring speed used by the adapter to insert into the network: 16 or 4Mbps.
- Cable type used to attach the 16/4 Busmaster EISA Adapter to the network:
shielded twisted pair (STP) or unshielded twisted pair (UTP).
- The default parameters are:
- interrupt level: IRQ5
- Ring speed: 16Mbps
- Cable type: STP
Verify that the parameters have been set correctly by performing manual rather than autom. configuration.
- The 16/4 Busmaster EISA Adapter data rate must match the data rate of the LAN segment to which it is
attached, or the adapter will not function correctly and the operation of the network may be degraded.
The IBM 16/4 Busmaster EISA Adapter (16/4 Busmaster EISA Adapter ) is a
communication adapter for an EISA system. The adapter occupies one expansion slot in an EISA
bus machine. Along with an adapter support interface and one or more application programs, the
adapter allows your EISA bus machine to communicate on an IBM Token-Ring Network.
The 16/4 Busmaster EISA Adapter can send data over an IBM Token-Ring Network at two rates: 16Mbps and 4Mbps.
The rate at which the adapter transmits is determined by the software configuration.
The 16/4 Busmaster EISA Adapter supports Early Token Release (ETR). ETR increases the utilization and performance of the
network by reducing the average time required for another network to gain access to the network. It is automatically
enabled when the 16/4 Busmaster EISA Adapter data rate is set to 16 Mbps.
- A maximum of six 16/4 Busmaster EISA Adapters may be installed in a machine
- On a bridge machine, the 16/4 Busmaster EISA Adapter is not supported by the IBM Token-Ring Network Bridge Program.
- On a machine running the IBM 8230 Maintenance Facility, the 16/4 Busmaster EISA Adapter is not supported by the IBM 8230
- The 16/4 Busmaster EISA Adapter does not support the Ring Utilization function utilized by IBM's LAN Network Manager program.
- The LAN Support Program Vers.1.30 does NOT support two or more 16/4 Busmaster EISA Adapters installed in the same
computer. You need the LAN Support program PTF UR37464 to have two or more actively running Busmaster EISA Adapters in the same machine.
Please see the LEGAL - Trademark notice.
Feel free - send a for any BUG on this page found - Thank you.