Diskette Drive Checkout (765D-9546 765L-9547)
Diskette Drive Checkout
Do the following to isolate the problem to a
controller, drive, or diskette. A scratch, write enabled,
non-defective 2HD diskette is required.
NOTE: The data on the diskette is altered during this test.
Back up the data on the diskette, or use a blank formatted (error free) diskette.
FDD-1 represents a diskette drive in the UltraBay.
FDD-2 represents the Port Replicator, Expansion Unit,
or a diskette drive attached through the
external diskette drive connector.
Make sure that the diskette does not have more than one label
attached to it. Multiple labels can cause damage to the drive
or can cause the drive to fail.
Do the following to select the test device:
- Select the advanced diagnostics mode and
select Tool, then
select the FDD-1 or FDD-2 icon and
press the Spacebar.
A OK mark appears next to the selected icon.
Insert a blank diskette when instructed.
- Run the diskette drive test.
- If the controller test detects an error, FRU code 10 appears.
Replace the system board.
- If the controller test runs without errors,
the drive read/write tests start automatically.
- If the drive test detects an error, FRU code 50 for FDD-1
or 51 for FDD-2 appears.
If the diskette itself is known to be good, replace the drive.
- If FDD-2 test detects an error, move the drive to the computer's diskette drive connector
directly, if possible, and test it again as FDD-1.
If no errors occur in the FDD-1 position, the drive is not defective. Go to 'Port Replicator Checkout' to
isolate the replicator problem.
- If the drive is attached through an Expansion Unit, go to the service manual of the Expansion Unit to
isolate the problem.
- If the drive is attached through a Diskette Drive Attachment Unit, replace the unit.
- If no error occured when testing the formatted diskette, suspect the diskette that was used when the
customer reported the problem.
If an error occurs when the external diskette drive is attached through the external diskette drive connector and there is not a diskette drive
in the UltraBay, reseat the connector on the video card. If the error persits, reseat the external diskette drive connector.
If the error persists, replace the following FRUs one at time:
- External diskette drive kit
- Video card
- External diskette drive connector
Please see the LEGAL - Trademark notice.
Feel free - send a for any BUG on this page found - Thank you.