Diskette Drive Checkout (TP 380XD, 385XD, 380Z - 2635)
Diskette Drive Checkout
This checkout is to isolate the problem to a controller, drive, or diskette.
A write-enabled, blank, formatted 2HD diskette is required.
FDD-1 represents the diskette drive in the ThinkPad computer.
Make sure that the diskette does not have more than one label
attached to it. Multiple labels can cause damage to the drive or cause the drive to fail.
Take the following to select the test device. See 'Running the Diagnostics' for details.
- Click on Test in the Easy-Setup menu.
- Press Ctrl+A to enter the advanced diagnostic mode.
ThinkPad FRU Connection window appears.
- Click on Exit.
The keyboard layout window appears on the screen.
- Click on Exit.
- Click on FDD-1
- Type Y (Yes) to the question that appears on the screen.
Insert a blank diskette when instructed and follow the instructions on the screen.
- Press Enter to run the diskette drive test.
- If the controller test detects an error, FRU code 10 appears. Replace
the system board.
- If the controller test runs without errors, the drive read/write test start automatically.
- If the drive read/write test detects an error, and either FRU code 50 for FDD-1 appears.
If the diskette itself is known to be good, replace the drive.
If the drive is attached to a port replicator, go to 'Port Replicator Checkout' to isolate
the replicator. Otherwise go to the next step.
- If the drive is attached through a port replicator, go to the service manual of the port replicator
to isolate the problem.
- If no error occurs when you test the formatted diskette, suspect the diskette that the customer used when
reporting the problem.
Please see the LEGAL - Trademark notice.
Feel free - send a for any BUG on this page found - Thank you.